Detroit – A final Mass will be celebrated Sunday, Dec. 11, at the IHM Center of Corpus Christi Parish, before the former Immaculate Heart of Mary Church and its school building are sold.
Auxiliary Bishop Donald Hanchon wil be principal celebrant for the 9 a.m. final Mass, with several former pastors of the former Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish concelebrating.
IHM Parish merged with the St. Gerard Parish in 2005 to form Corpus Christi Parish. But while its St. Gerard Center became the principal worship site for the merged parish, the other property — renamed IHM Center — was also retained, with one Mass there a week.
The former IHM rectory continued to be used as the parish’s center for outreach and administrative activities.
Now, the parish is selling the church, school and former convent to the charter school that has been renting its school building, retaining only the former rectory.
“The goal of the parish is to have a smaller physical footprint in the community, but an even larger outreach and faith presence in the community,” said Fr. Donald Archambault, Corpus Christi’s pastor.
“The challenge of forming a new faith community is like blending two families, while difficult, the goal is to serve the whole community better with the gifts and talents the Lord has given us,” he added.
Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, at 19800 Pembroke Ave. at Mansfield in northwest Detroit, was founded in 1948, and Mass was celebrated in two of the school’s classrooms until its gymnasium was converted into a church.
For more information, call Corpus Christi Parish, at (313) 537-5770. The parish website is at www.corpuschristi-detroit.org.