Priests celebrate milestone anniversaries of ordination

Archdiocese honors years of service for diocesan and religious order priests

 Fifty-eight priests of the Archdiocese of Detroit in 2012 mark milestone anniversaries in their ministry of 25, 40 and 50 years. We celebrate with them and thank them for their years of service to us in our parishes and beyond, including baptisms, funerals, marriages, sick visits and for their countless prayers and blessings.

Archbishop Allen Vigneron, in his homily May 29 at the jubilarians’ Mass of celebration, called to mind the many gifts involved with the priestly ministry.

“When we have been invited into people’s lives, we have been instruments to show forth God’s own life,” the archbishop said. “Has there ever been a greater blessing a man could have than when someone could say to him, ‘Thank you, Father. I know God better because of you, Father. I’m at peace, Father. You have helped me to be able to bury my husband. You have taught me how I can mourn my little girl, and yet have faith.’”

We at The Michigan Catholic couldn’t agree more.

71 Year Anniversary

Fr. Donald B. Kuntz

Fr. Kuntz, 98, was born in Detroit and was ordained June 7, 1941.

Fr. Kuntz served as assistant pastor at St. Mary Magdalen Parish, Hazel Park (1941-46), and St. Vincent de Paul Parish, Pontiac (1946-50), before becoming assistant director of religious education for the archdiocese (1950-54).

He served as assistant pastor at Visitation Parish, Detroit (1954-59), and at St. Thecla Parish, Clinton Township (1959-61).

In 1961 Fr. Kuntz was named pastor of St. Cletus Parish, Warren, where he served until being granted senior priest status in 1984.

Fr. Henry E. Villerot

Fr. Villerot, 96, was born in Detroit and was ordained June 7, 1941.

Fr. Villerot served as assistant pastor at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, River Rouge (1941-46); St. Aloysius Parish, Detroit (1946-51); and the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Detroit (1951-56).

He served as chaplain to Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit (1956-60), and to Detroit Osteopathic Hospital, Highland Park, for one year.

Fr. Villerot was pastor of St. Theresa Parish, Detroit (1960-66); of St. Margaret of Scotland Parish, St. Clair Shores (1966-72), and of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Parish, Birmingham, from 1972 until being granted senior priest status in 1985.

69 Year Anniversary

Msgr. Thomas H. Villerot

Msgr. Villerot, 94, was born in Detroit and was ordained May 29, 1943.

Msgr. Villerot was assistant pastor at St. Joseph Parish, Erie (1943-47); St. Catherine Parish, Detroit (1947-52); St. Lawrence Parish, Detroit (1952); and St. Mary Parish, Royal Oak (1952-57).

In 1957 he was appointed to the faculty of Sacred Heart Seminary; and was later named pastor of St. Martin Parish, Detroit (1965-70). He was pastor of St. Jude Parish, Detroit (1970-79) and vicar of the Gratiot Vicariate (1971-73). He was pastor of St. Valerie of Ravenna Parish, Clinton Township, from 1979 until he was granted senior priest status in 1987.

He returned to St. Mary Parish, Royal Oak, as temporary administrator from September to December 1989. He was appointed to the archdiocesan College of Consultors (1990-92), and was named a prelate of honor to His Holiness (monsignor) in March 1990.

Fr. Konrad Urbanowski, SCh

Now 95, Fr. Urbanowski was born in Poland. He was ordained May 23, 1943, and is now retired and in residence at Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish in Sterling Heights.

67 Year Anniversary

Fr. Edward F. Konopka

Fr. Konopka, 92, was born in Detroit and was ordained Oct. 27, 1945.

Fr. Konopka was assistant pastor at SS. Peter & Paul (West Side) Parish (1945-51), at Holy Name of Jesus Parish, Detroit, (1951-56), and Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Wyandotte (1956-59). He was appointed chaplain to Mount Carmel Hospital, Detroit (1959-60).

Fr. Konopka was founding pastor of St. Colman Parish, Farmington (1960-66); then served as pastor of St. Michael Parish, Pontiac (1966-71); St. Isidore Parish, Macomb Township (1971-74); Our Lady Queen of Heaven Parish, Detroit (1974-1982); and St. Alan Parish, Troy (1982-94).

He also was vicar of the North Oakland-Pontiac Vicariate (1967-68) and coordinator for the building of Pontiac Catholic High School in 1968.

He was granted senior priest status in June 1994, but was called back several times to serve as temporary administrator of parishes in Lapeer, Detroit and Livonia.

66 Year Anniversary

Fr. J. Walter Stanievich

Fr. Stanievich, 92, was born in Hamtramck and was ordained Oct. 26, 1946, in Detroit.

He served as an assistant pastor at St. Clement Parish, Center Line (1946-51); St. Patrick Parish, Wyandotte (1951-54); and Holy Innocents Parish, Roseville (1954-59). He served for three months as an assistant at St. Vincent de Paul Parish, Detroit, before becoming temporary administrator and then pastor of St. Anthony (Lithuanian) Parish, Detroit, (1959-70). Besides his duties at St. Anthony, he was administrator at St. Peter (Lithuanian) Parish in Detroit (1962-70).

Fr. Stanievich was pastor of St. Mark Parish, Warren (1970-91). He served as vicar of Warren-Center Line Vicariate for two consecutive terms (1973-79), and another term from 1982-85. He achieved senior priest status in 1991.

Fr. Stanievich then served as temporary administrator at St. Paschal Baylon Parish, Taylor (1993); St. Sylvester Parish, Warren (1994); St. Perpetua Parish, Waterford Township (1995); St. Henry Parish, Lincoln Park (1995); and St. Francis Xavier Parish, Ecorse (1997).

Fr. Joseph F. Ryder

Fr. Ryder, 91, was born in Detroit and was ordained June 8, 1946.

Fr. Ryder served as an assistant pastor at Guardian Angels Parish (1946-51) and Assumption Grotto Parish (1951-55), both in Detroit; St. Anselm Parish, Dearborn (1955-60); and St. Ignatius Parish, Detroit (1960-61). He was pastor of St. Alexander Parish, Farmington Hills (1961-66); St. Louis Parish, Mount Clemens (1966-70); St. Andrew Parish, Rochester (1970-75); and St. Owen Parish, Bloomfield Hills (1975-92). He achieved senior priest status in 1992.

Fr. Ryder also served three years on the Archdiocesan Pastoral Council, six years on the National Liturgical Board (1960-66) and 20 years as chaplain for the Detroit Lions alumni.

65 Year Anniversary

Fr. Erwin J. Bauer

Fr. Bauer, 90, was born in Redford Township and was ordained May 31, 1947, in Detroit.

Fr. Bauer served as assistant pastor at Sacred Heart Parish, Dearborn (1947-52); St. Gregory the Great Parish, Detroit (1952-56); St. Agatha Parish, Redford Township (1956-61); St. Mary Queen of Creation Parish, New Baltimore (1961-63); and Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Grotto) Parish, Detroit (1963-65).

He founded St. Donald Parish, Roseville, in 1965, and served as pastor there until 1978. He also served as vicar of the Roseville-St. Clair Shores Vicariate from 1969-70.

From 1978-83 he served as pastor of St. Mary Mystical Rose Parish, Armada, and as vicar of the Thumb Vicariate from 1979-83.

Fr. Bauer was appointed pastor of St. Hubert Parish, Harrison Township in 1983, and served as vicar of the North Macomb Vicariate (1984-87). He was pastor of St. Barnabas Parish, Eastpointe (1985-87), and St. Philip Neri Parish, Columbus, and of Holy Rosary Mission, Smith’s Creek (1987-91) and again from 2001 until 2003.

Granted senior priest status in 1991, he served as administrator of St. Mark Parish, Harsens Island, in 1991 and in 1996.

Fr. Walter L. Farrell, SJ

Now 95, Fr. Farrell was born in Cleveland, Ohio. He attended St. Thomas Aquinas Grade School, Cleveland; St. Ignatius High School, Cleveland; Loyola University, Chicago (Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in both Philosophy and Psychology); West Baden College, Baden Springs, Ind. (Licentiate in Philosophy and Licentiate in Sacred Theology); and Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome (Ph.D.)

He entered the Society of Jesus in 1934, made his first vows Aug. 15, 1936, and his final vows Aug. 15, 1951. He was ordained June 18, 1947.

Fr. Farrell’s many assignments have included serving as provincial of the Jesuits’ Detroit Province (1965-71); and as retreat director at Manresa Jesuit Retreat House, Bloomfield Hills (2007-08). Most recently, he was consultant to the provincial of the Chicago-Detroit Province on Ignatian values in ministry (2009-11).

64 Year Anniversary

Fr. Fabian B. Slominski

Fr. Slominski, 88, was born in Duluth, Minn., and was ordained May 22, 1948, in Detroit.

Fr. Slominski served as an assistant pastor at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Wyandotte (1948-53); at the Detroit parishes of SS. Peter & Paul (West Side) (1953-58) and St. Bartholomew (1958-62); and at St. Florian Parish, Hamtramck (1962-67).

Fr. Slominski was pastor of Corpus Christi Parish, Detroit (1967-70); St. Anne Parish, Warren (1970-83), and St. Cletus Parish, Warren, from1984 until he was granted senior priest status in 1990. He served as a chaplain at St. John-Macomb Health Center in Warren until 2007.

63 Year Anniversary

Fr. Edmund D. Muir

Fr. Muir, 88, was born in Detroit and was ordained May 21, 1949.

Fr. Muir served as assistant pastor at Visitation Parish, Detroit (1949-54), and at Epiphany Parish, Detroit (1954-57). He was temporary administrator of Epiphany Parish (1957-58), and also as assistant pastor at Our Lady of Victory Parish, Detroit (1958).

Also in 1958, Fr. Muir became a chaplain in the U.S. Air Force. He returned to Detroit to become assistant pastor at Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Grotto) Parish (1963-68).

His first pastorate was Epiphany Parish, Detroit (1968-82); and he also served as pastor of St. Clement Parish, Dearborn, from 1982 until attaining senior priest status in 1993.

Fr. Francis X. Budovic, SJ

Now 91, Fr. Budovic was born in Holic, Slovakia. He attended Trnava University in Trnava, Slovakia; the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome; the University of Vienna in Austria; John Carroll University in Cleveland; Wayne State University, Detroit; and the University of Chicago.

He entered the Society of Jesus in 1938 in Rosenberg, Slovakia, made his first vows July 31, 1940, and his final vows Feb. 2, 1977. He was ordained July 9, 1949, in Rome.

Since coming to North America in 1951, Fr. Budovic has served a number of assignments in the United States and Canada, including in recent decades associate pastor of St. Wendelyn Parish, Cleveland (1972-79); teacher at Central Catholic High School, Cleveland (1976-79); teacher at University of Detroit Jesuit High School (1979-83); associate pastor of St. Simon Parish, Chicago (1983-94); pastoral minister at St. Joseph Home, Detroit (1994-2003); and from 2003 to present, pastoral minister at Colombiere Center in Clarkston.

62 Year Anniversary

Fr. Edward L. Scheuerman

Fr. Scheuerman, 86, was born in Detroit and was ordained May 20, 1950.

Fr. Scheuerman served as assistant pastor at St. Bartholomew Parish, Detroit (1950-54), then was appointed to the faculty of Sacred Heart Seminary in 1954.

In 1966 he was named principal of Aquinas High School in Southgate, moving in 1970 to the faculty of Bishop Gallagher High School in Harper Woods.

He continued to serve as priest counselor at Bishop Gallagher after he became pastor of St. Martin of Tours Parish, Detroit, in 1971. While at St. Martin, he served (1971-77) as vicar of the Detroit-Grosse Pointe Vicariate.

Fr. Scheuerman was appointed pastor of St. Patrick Parish, Wyandotte (1981-94), then administrator of St. Charles Borromeo, Newport (1994-95).

He was granted senior priest status in 1995, but undertook several brief assignments after that: as parochial administrator of St. Mark Parish, Warren (1995), and in 1999 as temporary administrator of Christ the King Parish, Detroit, and then at Presentation/Our Lady of Victory Parish, Detroit.

Fr. Bohdan W. Kosicki

Fr. Kosicki, 85, was born in Detroit and was ordained May 20, 1950.

Fr. Kosicki served as an assistant pastor at Our Lady Queen of Heaven Parish, Detroit (1950-55); Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish, Grosse Pointe Woods (1955); St. Anne Parish, Warren (1955-59); St. Christopher Parish, Detroit (1959); and Our Lady Queen of Apostles Parish, Hamtramck (1959-60).

In 1960 he was sent to the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., for graduate studies. He then was assistant pastor of St. Albertus Parish, Detroit (1963-64). He was appointed chaplain to St. Francis Hospital, Hamtramck, in 1964.

Fr. Kosicki served as assistant pastor at St. Hyacinth Parish, Detroit (1965-66), and was named assistant to the archdiocesan vicar for religious in 1966. In 1971 he was named archdiocesan delegate to charismatic groups, in addition to his other duties.

In 1976 he was appointed pastor of Sweetest Heart of Mary Parish, Detroit. While there he also had duties as acting director of the archdiocesan Office of Special Services, a post he continued to hold while pastor of St. Ladislaus Pastor, Hamtramck (1981-82).

Fr. Kosicki was named pastor of St. Lucy Parish, St. Clair Shores, and served there until being granted senior priest status in 1997. During the 1990s he also served on the archdiocesan Presbyteral Council.

Fr. Randal Joyce, CP

Now 90, Fr. Joyce was born in Kansas. He made his vows in the Passionist congregation July 9, 1943, and was ordained June 3, 1950, in Louisville, Ky.

Fr. Joyce’s assignments included spiritual director at the Passionists’ high school seminary in Warrenton, Mo.; teacher in a Passionist school in Des Moines, Iowa; and retreat master at St. Paul of the Cross Passionist Retreat Center in Detroit and Mater Dolorosa Passionist Retreat Center in Sierra Madre, Calif.

Since 1999, he has been living at the St. Paul of the Cross Passionist Community in Detroit, still doing spiritual direction for some close friends.

Msgr. Peter S. Lentine

Msgr. Lentine, 93, was born in Detroit and was ordained May 20, 1950.

Msgr. Lentine served as assistant pastor at St. Elizabeth Parish, Wyandotte (1950-55); Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish, Detroit (1955-60); St. Matthew Parish, Detroit (1960-65); and St. Rita Parish, Detroit (1965-66).

He currently serves as pastor of St. Philomena Parish, Detroit, where he has served since 1966. Msgr. Lentine also served as vicar of the Detroit-Grosse Pointe Vicariate and as a member of the archdiocese’s College of Consultors from 1977-80.

Fr. Lawrence T. Fares

Fr. Fares, 88, was born in northern Lebanon and was ordained April 23, 1950, in Rome.

He was incardinated into the Archdiocese of Detroit in 1977. Fr. Fares served as associate pastor of St. Louis Parish, Clinton Township (1977-78); Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Grotto) Parish, Detroit (1978-84); and Our Lady Queen of Heaven Parish, Detroit (1984-85).

In 1985 he was named parochial administrator of St. Thomas the Apostle Parish, Detroit, and also at Holy Name Parish, Detroit, while continuing his duties at St. Thomas.

Fr. Fares was appointed pastor of St. Ronald Parish, Clinton Township, in 1989, and continued to serve there until he was granted senior priest status in 1997.

61 Year Anniversary

Fr. Thomas F. Esper

Fr. Esper, 86, was born in Dearborn and was ordained June 2, 1951.

Fr. Esper served as assistant pastor at St. Louis Parish, Mount Clemens (1951-54); Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, River Rouge (1954-59); St. Gertrude Parish, St. Clair Shores (1959-64); St. Joseph Parish, Trenton (1964-65); and St. Mary’s of Redford Parish, Detroit (1965-69).

He served as pastor of Holy Innocents Parish, Roseveille (1969-86) and St. Edward on the Lake Parish, Lakeport (1986-96), serving also as vicar of the Port Huron Vicariate from 1993-96. He was granted senior priest status in 1996.

Msgr. Gerald A. Flanigan

Msgr. Flanigan, 85, was born in Highland Park and was ordained June 2, 1951.

He served as assistant pastor in 1951 at both St. John Parish, Ypsilanti, and St. Vincent de Paul Parish, Pontiac. He then was assistant pastor at Epiphany (1951-56) and St. Rose parishes (1956-57) in Detroit; of St. Pius X Parish, Southgate (1957-62); of St. Hugo of the Hills Parish, Bloomfield Hills (1962-66); and Our Lady of Loretto Parish, Redford Township (1966-68).

He was pastor of Madonna Parish, Detroit (1968-70); St. Blase Parish, Sterling Heights (1970-77); St. Raymond Parish, Detroit (1977-85) and St. Colman Parish, Farmington Hills (1991-95).

Msgr. Flanigan was named prelate of honor to His Holiness (monsignor) in 1990. He was granted senior priest status in 1995.

Msgr. Robert V. Monticello

Msgr. Monticello, 85, was born in Detroit and was ordained June 2, 1951.

He served as assistant pastor at St. Alphonsus, Dearborn (1951), then at Madonna Parish in Detroit (1951-55). After completing graduate studies at Fordham University, New York, he founded and directed Catholic Social Services of Macomb/Lenawaee Counties (1957-67).

He was chaplain of the St. Francis Home for Boys, Detroit (1961-71) and also taught at that time at Sacred Heart Seminary (1962-66) and Mercy College, Detroit (1963-66). He was director of Catholic Social Services for the Archdiocese of Detroit (1967-68), director of the archdiocesan Department of Christian Service (1968-70) and deputy delegate for clergy (1970-71).

For most of the 1970s, Msgr. Monticello ministered in Washington, D.C., serving there as executive director for the Campaign for Human Development (1971-73), associate general secretary for the U.S. Catholic Conference (1973), and as assistant treasurer for the conference (1974-78) as well as deputy treasurer for Catholic Relief Services.

In 1979, he returned to Detroit and was made coordinator of planning and services, and an executive assistant to Cardinal John Dearden and Cardinal Edmund Szoka. He served as pastor of St. Martha Parish, Dearborn (1981-85); St. Frances Cabrini Parish, Allen Park (1985-88); and St. Clare of Assisi Parish, Farmington Hills (1988-94). In 2011, he began serving on the Archdiocesan Presbyteral Council, where he continues to serve.

He was named prelate of honor to His Holiness (monsignor) in 1990. He was granted senior priest status in 1999.

Fr. Robert A. Reckinger

Fr. Reckinger, 87, was born in Detroit and was ordained June 2, 1951.

He was assistant pastor at St. Jude (1951-56), St. Cecilia (1956-57) and St. John the Evangelist (1957-59) parishes, all in Detroit; St. Mark Parish in Warren (1959-63); St. Michael Parish in Livonia (1963-64); Holy Name Parish in Birmingham (1964-65); and St. Richard Parish in Westland (1964-71).

Fr. Reckinger was in residence at St. Priscilla Parish in Livonia (1971-73) and Immaculate Conception Parish in Lapeer.

He was granted senior priest status in 1994.

Fr. Edward W. Ritter

Fr. Ritter, 86, was born in Detroit and was ordained June 2, 1951.

He was assistant pastor at St. Joseph Parish, Port Huron (1951-56); St. Aloysius Parish, Detroit (1956-61); and St. Francis Xavier Parish, Ecorse (1966-69). He also had been chaplain at Mount Carmel Mercy Hospital starting in 1961.

Fr. Ritter served as pastor of St. Leonard of Port Maurice Parish, Warren (1969-77); St. Christopher Parish, Detroit (1977-82); and St. Mary Parish, St. Clair (1982-2001). He was vicar of the Belle River Vicariate from 1990-93.

Fr. Ritter currently is a senior priest for the archdiocese.

Msgr. Walter J. Ziemba

Msgr. Ziemba, 85, was born in Detroit and was ordained June 2, 1951.

Msgr. Ziemba ministered at SS. Cyril & Methodius Seminary in Orchard Lake, serving there as a professor from 1951 until 1968, then as rector from 1968 until 1977. He remained on the faculty there after his tenure as rector.

He was named prelate of honor to His Holiness (monsignor) in 2005. He was granted senior priest status in 1996.

60 Year Anniversary

Fr. Timothy Mock, CMM
Now 85, Fr. Mock was born in Aberdeen, S.D. He attended St. Mary Grade School in Aberdeen, and then went to St. Bernard Seminary High School in Sioux Falls, S.D. He completed high school and received his college philosophy education at St. Benedict Seminary, Brighton. He studied theology at St. Meinrad Seminary in Indiana and back at St. Benedict in Brighton. He earned a doctorate in canon law from the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.

He joined the Marianhill Mission Society in 1945, made his temporary vows Aug. 15, 1946, and perpetual vows Aug. 15, 1949. He was ordained May 25, 1952, at St. Mary Church in Aberdeen, S.D.

Following three years of study at Catholic University in Washington, Fr. Mock taught at Catholic Central High School in Allentown, Pa. (1955-58). Then, he became pastor of Our Lady of Grace Parish, Dearborn Heights (1958-62).

He also was rector of St. Bernard Seminary, Dearborn Heights (1963-67). In 1967, he was sent to South Africa, where he served as superior of students studying for the priesthood in Pretoria, the capital.

Returning to Dearborn Heights in the 1980s, he became provincial treasurer for the Marianhills, serving until 1998. Still in residence there, he helps out at nearby parishes.

50 Year Anniversary

Fr. Edwin W. Balazy

Now 75, Fr. Balazy was born in Wyandotte. He attended St. Mary’s College and SS. Cyril & Methodius Seminary, Orchard Lake, and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township.

He was ordained June 2, 1962, and celebrated his first Mass at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Wyandotte.

Fr. Balazy served as an assistant pastor at the parishes of St. Raymond, Detroit (1962-66) and St. Hyacinth, Detroit (1966-71).

He was named pastor of Immaculate Conception Parish, Detroit (1971-79). In 1979, he was appointed pastor of St. John the Baptist Parish, Dearborn Heights, where he served until 2011.

Fr. Michael A. Donovan

Now 75, Fr. Donovan was born in Detroit. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit, and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township.

He was ordained June 2, 1962, and celebrated his first Mass at St. Valentine Church, Redford Township.

He served as an assistant pastor at the parishes of Christ the Good Shepherd, Lincoln Park (1962-66); Newman Apostolate, Ann Arbor (1966-70); Our Lady of Fatima, Oak Park (1970-72); and St. Cletus, Warren (1972-76). Fr. Donovan also served in campus ministry at Wayne State University.

In addition, he was named associate pastor of St. Paul on the Lake, Grosse Pointe Farms (1976-89); temporary administrator at St. Nicholas, Capac (1980); temporary administrator at St. Francis of Assisi, New Haven (1980-81); temporary associate pastor at St. Pius X, Southgate (1981); temporary associate pastor at St. Mark, Warren (1981-83); and pastor at St. Donald, Roseville (1983-2011).

In November 2011 he began serving as director of religious education at St. Donald Parish, which is closing this summer.

Fr. John Dister, SJ

Now 81, Fr. Dister was born in Cleveland, Ohio. He attended St. Ignatius, St. Vincent de Paul and St. Patrick grade schools, Cleveland; St. Ignatius High School, Cleveland; Loyola University, Chicago (Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts); West Baden College, Baden Springs, Ind. (Licentiate in Phisosophy); Jusuitenkolleg Theologische Facultaet, Innsbruck, Austria (Licentiate in Sacred Theology); and the University of Bristol in England (Ph.D).

He entered the Society of Jesus in 1949, pronounced his first vows July 31, 1951, and made his final vows Aug. 15, 1967. He was ordained July 26, 1962, in Innsbruck, Austria.

His many assignments have included a number of teaching positions at Jesuit institutions, including the University of Detroit. Since 2008, he has been retreat director at the Jesuit Retreat House in Parma, Ohio, and assistant chaplain to The Cleveland Clinic.

Fr. Raymond Lucasinsky, CMM

Now 77, Fr. Lucasinsky was born in Wilkes Barre, Pa. He attended St. Florian Grade and High School in Hamtramck, then served in the U.S. Naval Reserve. He attended St. Bernard Seminary in Dearborn Heights and St. Meinrad Major Seminary in Indiana. He received a Master of Arts degree from the University of Detroit.

He was ordained May 26, 1962.

Fr. Lucasinsky was assigned to Bulawayo, Rhodesia (which later became Zimbabwe), in 1963 and remained for seven years. While there, he did parish work as well as local radio and TV, both religious and secular.

He returned to the U.S. and taught at Divine Word Seminary in Maumee, Ohio, for five years. He returned to St. Meinrad and received a Master of Divinity degree. After that, he did mission appeals all over the U.S. for about 10 years, raising funds for missions in Zimbabwe, South Africa and New Guinea. He then became the superior for the Mariannhill Mission Society community in Dearborn Heights, and continues to help out at nearby parishes.

Fr. Harold R. Meirose, SJ

Now 82, Fr. Meirose was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. He attended St. Bernard Grade School, Cincinnati; St. Xavier High School, Cincinnati; Xavier University, Cincinnati (Bachelor of Arts); Spring Hill College, Mobile, Ala. (Master of Arts); West Baden College, Baden Springs, Ind. (Licentiate in Sacred Theology); Butler University, Indianapolis, Ind.; and Indiana University in Indianapolis.

He entered the Society of Jesus in 1950, professed his final vows Aug. 16, 1967, and was ordained June 10, 1962.

Fr. Meirose taught or served in pastoral positions at a number of Jesuit schools and parishes before coming to Colombiere Center in Clarkston, where he was pastoral minister (1994-2006); and did community service (2006-10). He continues to reside there in retirement.

Fr. Kevin O’Doherty, CMM

Now 78, Fr. O’Doherty was born in Detroit. He grew up in Brighton and belonged to St. Patrick Parish and attended its parish school. After graduating from Brighton High School, he attended St. Bernard Minor Seminary, Dearborn Heights.

He entered the Mariannhill novitiate in 1955, made perpetual vows four years later, and was ordained May 26, 1962, at St. Patrick Church, Brighton. 

Fr. O’Doherty has served as associate pastor (1962-70) and pastor (1983-91) of Our Lady of Grace Parish, Dearborn Heights; as associate pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, Ludington (1991-93); and as curate (1974-83) and parish priest (1993-2008) of Christ the King Parish in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.

Now in residence at the Mariannhill Mission Society headquarters in Dearborn Heights, he helps out at neighboring parishes.

Fr. Leo Reilly, CSB

Now 77, Fr. Reilly was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. He attended St. Mary’s grade and high schools, Calgary; St. Michael’s College, Toronto, Ontario (Bachelor of Arts and Master of Science); and Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies, Toronto (Ph.D).
He entered the Congregation of St. Basil in 1952, made his first vows in 1953 was ordained Dec. 16, 1962, in Toronto.

Fr. Reilly taught at Basilian high schools in Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, and Sudbury, Ontario. He also taught at the University of Windsor. Since 1987, he has been an associate pastor of Ste. Anne de Detroit Parish. He is the author of a Latin grammar book, “summa Super Priscianum,” published in 1993.

Fr. James Serrick, SJ

Now 81, Fr. Serrick was born in Defiance, Ohio. He attended Gesu Grade School, Toledo, Ohio; Campion High School, Praire du Chien, Wis.; West Baden High School, Baden Springs, Ind. (Licentiates in Philosophy and Theology); University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Ind. (Master of Arts); and Institute of St. Anselm, Rome.

He entered the Society of Jesus in 1949, professed his first vows Aug. 22, 1951, made his final vows Aug. 15, 1965, and was ordained June 14, 1962, in Indiana.

Fr. Serrick’s assignments in the Archdiocese of Detroit have included director of Manresa Jesuit Retreat House, Bloomfield Hills (1995-2007); assistant for pastoral ministry with the Detroit Province of the Society of Jesus (2007-09); and associate pastor of Gesu Parish, Detroit (2009-12).

In addition, he was a member of the archdiocesan Presbyteral Council (2006-08).

Fr. Ezequiel Mondragon

Now 74, Fr. Mondragon was born in Tecomatlan, Mexico. He attended Seminari Conciliar in De Toluca, Mexico.

He was ordained Feb. 5, 1962, for the Diocese of Toluca in Mexico. He celebrated his first Mass at Basilica De Guadalupe in Mexico.

He was appointed associate pastor at the parishes of St. Gabriel, Detroit (1988-91); St. Patrick Parish, White Lake Township (incardinate candidate), (1991-93); and again served at St. Gabriel, Detroit (incardinate candidate), (1993-94).

Fr. Mondragon was incardinated March 18, 1994. He was appointed associate pastor at Sacred Heart Parish, Imlay City (1994-95), and served as its pastor (1995-2010).

He was associate pastor of Our Lady Queen of Angels and St. Stephen/Mary, Mother of the Church parishes, Detroit (July to December 2010).

Fr. Clifford F. Ruskowski

Now 75, Fr. Ruskowski was born in Detroit. He attended the University of Detroit; St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township; and SS. Cyril & Methodius Seminary, Orchard Lake.

He was ordained June 2, 1962, in Detroit, and celebrated his first Mass at St. Thomas the Apostle Church, Detroit.

Fr. Ruskowski served as assistant pastor at the parishes of Ascension, Warren (1962-67); and St. Kevin, Inkster (1967-68).

He became a member of the faculty at SS. Cyril & Methodius Seminary (1970-85); St. John’s Provincial Seminary (1985-89) and Sacred Heart Major Seminary, Detroit (1989).

In 1990, Fr. Ruskowski took a sabbatical to study for his master’s degree at University of Michigan. During that time he also served as temporary administrator at St. Joseph Parish, Lake Orion.

In 1991, he was appointed pastor of Our Lady of the Woods Parish, Woodhaven, where he served until 1996. From 1996-99, Fr. Ruskowski returned to Sacred Heart Major Seminary as a member of the faculty, while also serving as associate pastor at St. Paul of Tarsus Parish, Clinton Township.

He was appointed pastor at St. Owen Parish, Bloomfield Hills (1999-2007), after which he was granted senior priest status.

Fr. Ruskowski is a former member of the archdiocesan Assignment, Ecumenical and Pension boards, and is the recipient of several awards for his work on archdiocesan television and radio programs.

Fr. Donald Worthy

Now 79, Fr. Worthy was born in Detroit. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit, and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township.

He was ordained June 2, 1962, and celebrated his first Mass at Sacred Heart Church, Imlay City.

Fr. Worthy served as assistant pastor at the parishes of St. Thomas Aquinas, Detroit, (1962-66) and St. Rita, Detroit (1966-69).

He began serving as a Family Life Bureau speaker and as chaplain at Harper and Grace hospitals and the Rehabilitation Institute, Detroit (1969-72); chaplain at Mount Carmel-Mercy Hospital (1972-91); archdiocesan Office for Chaplaincies (1991); South Macomb and Bi-County Hospital, Warren (1991-93), and St. Joseph Mercy-Oakland, Pontiac (1993-2003).

Fr. Worthy is now a senior priest of the archdiocese.

Fr. Francis A. Zielinski

Now 76, Fr. Zielinski was born in Detroit. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary High School, Detroit; St. Mary’s College, Orchard Lake; and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township.

He was ordained June 2, 1962, and celebrated his first Mass at Sweetest Heart of Mary Church, Detroit.

He served as assistant pastor at the parishes of St. Florian, Hamtramck (1962-67); Ascension, Warren (1967-71) and Our Lady of Good Counsel, Plymouth (1971-72).

He was appointed pastor at the parishes of St. Mary of the Snows, Milford (1972-79); St. Timothy, Trenton (1979-84); St. Paul of Tarsus, Clinton Township (1984-90); and St. Daniel, Clarkston (1990).

In 1991, Fr. Zielinski served as temporary administrator at St. Colman Parish, Farmington Hills, before he was named pastor at St. Margaret of Scotland Parish in St. Clair Shores.

He was appointed pastor at St. Philip Neri Parish, Richmond, and administrator at Holy Rosary Mission, Smith’s Creek (1992-2001), after which he was granted senior priest status.

40 Year Anniversary

Fr. Ronald Anderson

Now 69, Fr. Anderson was born in Rochester, N.Y. He attended the University of St. Thomas in Houston, St. Michael College in Toronto, and Wayne State University in Detroit.

He was ordained May 27, 1972, in Rochester, N.Y., and celebrated his first Mass at Sacred Heart Church there.

Fr. Anderson served as associate pastor of Ste. Anne de Detroit Parish, Detroit (1972-73); at SS. Peter & Paul (West Side) Parish, Detroit (1973-76); and at St. Blase Parish, Sterling Heights (1976-77).

He was appointed associate pastor of St. Andrew Parish, Rochester (1987-89). After being incardinated into the Archdiocese of Detroit, April 29, 1989, he was named pastor of St. Mary of the Snows Parish, Milford, where he continues to serve.

Fr. Edward Belczak

Now 66, Fr. Belczak was born in Detroit. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit, and St. John’s Provincial Seminary in Plymouth Township.

He was ordained Sept. 3, 1972, and celebrated his first Mass at Shrine of the Little Flower in Royal Oak.

Fr. Belczak served as an assistant pastor of Shrine of the Little Flower Parish, Royal Oak (1972-75), and became co-pastor (1975-80). He was appointed associate pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows Parish, Farmington Hills (1980-81), and served as an auditor on the archdiocesan Metropolitan Tribunal (1981-83).

In 1984 he became pastor of St. Thomas More Parish, Troy, where he continues to serve. He also served as vicar of the Birmingham-Bloomfield-Troy Vicariate (1988-91); and was a member of the archdiocesan Pension Board (2003-06).

Fr. Frederick Benda, SJ

Now 71, Fr. Benda was born in Toledo, Ohio. He attended Gesu Grade School, Toledo; St. Francis de Sales High School, Toledo; West Baden College, West Baden Springs, Ind.; Loyola University of Chicago (Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts); Bellarmine School of Theology, North Aurora, Ill.; St. Mary’s University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada (Master of Divinity); Regis College, Willowdale, Ontario, Canada; and the University of Texas, Austin (Ph.D.).

In 1959, he entered the Society of Jesus, professing his first vows Aug. 15, 1961, and making his final vows Dec. 3, 1962. He was ordained May 27, 1972, in Rosary Cathedral, Toledo.

Fr. Benda’s assignments have included several stints at the University of Detroit and later University of Detroit Mercy (1985-90 and 2008-present); as well as service with the Jesuits’ Detroit Province (1987-94). He was temporary administrator of Gesu Parish, Detroit (2009); and acting rector of the UDM Jesuit Community (20009-10).

Fr. John Crepeau

Now 68, Fr. Crepeau was born in Detroit, and was ordained March 18, 1972.

He was incardinated into the Archdiocese of Detroit June 23, 1987.

Fr. Terrence Kerner

Now 66, Fr. Kerner attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit (Bachelor of Arts), St. John’s Provincial Seminary in Plymouth Township, and the University of Detroit.

He was ordained Feb. 4, 1972, in Ypsilanti.

Fr. Kerner served as associate pastor of Presentation Parish, Detroit (1972-73); and associate pastor (1973-75) and then administrator (1975-77) of St. Raymond Parish, Detroit.

He was archdiocesan director of pastoral vocations (1975-80); then associate pastor of St. Lawrence Parish, Utica (1980-82). He was named pastor of St. Christopher Parish, Detroit (1982-86); and became pastor of St. John the Baptist Parish, Monroe (1986-2003), during which time he served as vicar of the Monroe Vicariate (1987-93) and briefly as administrator of St. Michael Parish, Monroe, during 1998.

Fr. Kerner was pastor of Our Lady of Victory Parish, Northville (2003-06); and since 2006 has been pastor of St. Martha and St. Joseph parishes, both in Dearborn.

Fr. Tod Laverty, OFM

Now 68, Fr. Laverty Kensington, Ontario, Canada. He attended St. Leonard’s College, Centerville, Ohio; Duns Scotus College, Southfield; St. Anthony’s College, Cincinnati, Ohio; the University of Dayton; Xavier University, Cincinnati; Loyola of Maryland, Baltimore (Master of Science and Ph.D.).

He entered the Order of Friars Minor (Franciscans) in 1965, and made his solemn profession Aug. 16, 1969. He was ordained June 10, 1972.

Since coming to the Archdiocese of Detroit in 2008, he has served as administrator and then pastor of St. Patrick and St. Aloysius parishes, Detroit.

Fr. Gerald McEnhill

Now 66, Fr. McEnhill was born in Detroit. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit (Bachelor of Arts), St. John’s Provincial Seminary in Plymouth Township (Master of Divinity), the University of Detroit (Master of Arts), Wayne State University (Master of Business Administration) and the Institute of Continuing Theological Education at the North American College in Rome.

He was ordained June 3, 1972, at St. Frances Cabrini Church in Allen Park.

Fr. McEnhill served as associate pastor of St. Blase Parish, Sterling Heights (1972-76); and at St. Matthew Parish, Detroit (1976-79).

In 1979, he served as temporary administrator of St. Eugene Parish, Detroit; and was then named associate pastor of St. Regis Parish, Bloomfield Hills (1979-86), during which time he served as vicar of the Birmingham-Bloomfield-Troy Vicariate (1982-86).

He was appointed pastor of St. Gerald Parish, Farmington (1986-2004), serving as vicar of the Farmington-Southfield Vicariate (1995-2002).

Since 2004, he has been pastor of Our Lady of Refuge Parish, Orchard Lake.

In addition, Fr. McEnhill has served on the archdiocesan Assignment Board, as supervisor of transitional deacons and a mentor to seminarians, among other duties.

He is currently a member of the archdiocesan Presbyteral Council and the College of Consultors.

Fr. Ronald Milligan

Now 67, Fr. Milligan was born in Detroit. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit (Bachelor of Arts); St. John’s Provincial Seminary in Plymouth Township (Master of Divinity); the University of Detroit (Master of Arts); Madonna College (University), Livonia (Master of Arts); and the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind. (Master of Arts).

He was ordained Jan. 22, 1972, at Sacred Heart Church, Roseville, where he briefly served as an associate pastor in 1972; then at St. Leonard of Port Maurice Parish, Warren (1972-74). He was an associate pastor of St. Peter Parish, Mount Clemens (1974-78); and at Sacred Heart Parish, Dearborn (1978-82).

He was named pastor of St. Hilary Parish, Redford Township (1982-87), during which time he was also vicar of the West Detroit Vicariate (1985-88).

He returned to Sacred Heart Parish, Roseville, as pastor (1987-96); and has been pastor of St. Ephrem Parish, Sterling Heights, since 1996, also serving as vicar of the North Macomb Vicariate (1997-2000), and of the Central Macomb Vicariate (2006-09).

Fr. Milligan was named spiritual adviser to the Cursillo Movement in 1990.

Fr. Bernard Owens, SJ

Now 72, Fr. Owens was born in Flint. He attended Shrine of the Little Flower Grade School, Royal Oak; Holy Redeemer Grade School, Flint; Janesville High School in Wisconsin; Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wis.; University of Detroit (Bachelor of Arts); West Baden College in West Baden Springs, Ind.; Bellarmine School of Theology, North Aurora, Ill.; Loyola University of Chicago (Master of Arts); Regis College, Willowdale, Ontario (Master of Divinity); and the Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, Calif. (Ph.D.).

He entered the Society of Jesus in 1959, professed his first vows Aug. 15, 1961, and made his final vows Dec. 8, 1991. He was ordained June 10, 1972, at Gesu Church, Detroit.

Fr. Owens taught at University of Detroit Jesuit High School (1966-69); was associate pastor of Gesu Parish, Detroit (1973-74); taught at the University of Detroit, and later University of Detroit Mercy (1981-94 and 2011-present); and served in retreat ministry at Manresa Jesuit Retreat Center, Bloomfield Hills (1994-present).

Fr. Theodore Parker

Now 68, Fr. Parker was ordained May 27, 1972.

Since coming to the Archdiocese of Detroit in 2001, Fr. Parker has served as pastor of St. Cecilia Parish, Detroit, and since 2008 has also been pastor of St. Leo Parish, Detroit. He was also administrator of St. Luke Parish, Detroit (2004-07).

In addition, he has served as vicar of the Northwest Detroit Vicariate (2002-04); and of the Trinity Vicariate (2004-08). He has also served two terms on the archdiocesan Presbyteral Council.

Bishop John Quinn

Now 66, Bishop Quinn was born in Detroit. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit; St. John’s Provincial Seminary in Plymouth Township; the University of Detroit (Master of Arts), and the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. (doctorate).

He was ordained to the priesthood March 17, 1972, and celebrated his first Mass at St. Raymond Church in Detroit.

Then-Fr. Quinn served as an associate pastor at St. Raymond Parish (1972-73); and during 1973 as temporary administrator of St. John the Baptist Parish, Monroe; and temporary associate pastor of SS. Peter & Paul (West Side) Parish in Detroit.

He was associate pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows Parish, Farmington (1973-77). In 1977 he began his studies at the Catholic University of America, which he completed in 1981.

He served as associate pastor of St. Peter the Apostle Parish, Harper Woods (1980-82); then as pastor of St. Luke Parish, Detroit. While serving there, he was appointed to a succession of archdiocesan posts: associate director for justice and peace (1985); associate director for religious education (1986); and director of the Department of Education (1990-2003).

On March 23, 1990, he was named a prelate of honor to His Holiness (monsignor).

In 2003 it was announced then-Msgr. Quinn would become an auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Detroit. Following his ordination to the episcopacy, he served as bishop of the archdiocese’s Central Region.

In 2008, he was appointed coadjutor bishop of Winona, Minn., and he succeeded to the see on May 7, 2009.

Fr. Dino Vanin, PIME

Now 65, Fr. Vanin was born in Treviso, Italy. He entered the minor seminary of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME) when he was 11. He came to the U.S. to study theology, making his final promise and becoming a member of PIME on May 21, 1971. He was ordained to the priesthood June 10, 1972.

After ordination, Fr. Dino began teaching Latin and Industrial Arts at the PIME Seminary in Newark, Ohio. He was principal (1974-82) and rector (1983-86).

In Thailand (1986-92), he served in the diocese of Chiang Mai at Lampang in the northern region. He worked especially among the mountain tribal people who live on the border with Myanmar and Laos.

Fr. Dino co-authored a book with Fr. Corrado Ciceri on Thailand called “Gold in the Mountains.” Besides being treasurer of PIME in the U.S. Region, he serves at San Francesco (Italian) Parish in Clinton Township in a variety of ways — offering spiritual direction, preparing young couples for marriage, and providing the sacraments.

25 Year Anniversary

Fr. Robert Bauer

Now 53, Fr. Bauer was born in Monroe. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit, and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township.

He was ordained Nov. 14, 1987, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Detroit.

Fr. Bauer has served as associate pastor of St. Agatha Parish, Redford Township (1987-88); and of St. Colette Parish, Livonia (1994-95).

He became pastor of St. Patrick Parish, Carleton, in 1995 and continues there today. Additional duties as administrator of St. Joseph Parish, Maybee, were added in 2004, and he became that parish’s pastor in 2009.

Fr. Richard Cavellier

Now 68, Fr. Cavellier was born in Detroit. He attended Wayne State University and Sacred Heart Seminary, both in Detroit, and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township, from which he earned a Master of Divinity degree.

He was ordained Nov. 14, 1987, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Detroit.

Fr. Cavellier was associate pastor of St. Clement Parish, Center Line (1987-88); and of St. Edmund Parish, Warren (1988-90); before becoming temporary administrator of St. Christopher Parish, Detroit, for a brief time in 1990.

He served on the archdiocesan Metropolitan Tribunal (1992-96), and was administrator of St. Valerie of Ravenna Parish (1995-96), later becoming its pastor (1996-2008).

Fr. Cavellier was pastor of St. Alan Parish, Troy, and St. Columban Parish, Birmingham (2008-09); and has been pastor of Sacred Heart of the Hills Parish, Auburn Hills, since 2009.

Fr. Gregory Deters

Now 55, Fr. Deters was born in Detroit. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit, and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township.

He was ordained Nov. 14, 1987, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Detroit.

Fr. Deters has served as associate pastor of St. Mary Parish, St. Clair (1987-88); and of Divine Child Parish, Dearborn (1988-89).

He was named pastor of St. Anthony Parish, Temperance (1995-2006), and became pastor of St. Mary Parish, St. Clair, in 2006.

Fr. Joseph Gembala

Now 54, Fr. Gembala was born in Ypsilanti. He attended the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; University of Arkansas Law School; St. Meinrad Seminary in Indiana; and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township.

He was ordained Nov. 14, 1987, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Detroit.

Fr. Gembala has served as associate pastor of Divine Child Parish, Dearborn (1987-88); Christ the Good Shepherd Parish, Lincoln Park (1988-91); St. Gabriel Parish, Detroit (1992-93); and St. Stephen/Mary, Mother of the Church Parish, Detroit, in 1993, before becoming its pastor (1993-96).

He has been pastor of St. Malachy Parish, Sterling Heights.

Fr. John Hedges

Now 55, Fr. Hedges was born in Trenton. He attended Madonna University, Livonia, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree; Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit; and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township, where he earned a Master of Divinity degree.

He was ordained Nov. 14, 1987, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Detroit.

Fr. Hedges served as associate pastor of St. Thomas More Parish, Troy (1987-88); Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Detroit (1988-92); Sacred Heart Parish, Dearborn (briefly during 1992); and at St. Linus Parish, Dearborn Heights (1992-95).

He was pastor of St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish, Wyandotte (1995-2005), during which time he also served as a chaplain to Henry Ford-Wyandotte General Hospital.

Fr. Hedges has also served as spiritual director to the Riverview-based Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima.

Fr. Frane Kolaj

Now 52, Fr. Kolaj was born in Zilakugan, Kosovo (then part of Yugoslavia).

He was ordained July 4, 1987, at the Catholic Theological Faculty, Zagreb, Croatia.

Since coming to the Archdiocese of Detroit in 2011, he has served as pastor of St. Paul (Albanian) Parish, Rochester Hills.

Fr. Justin Kusibab, OFM Conv.

Now 53, Fr. Kusibab was born in Detroit. He attended St. Mary’s Preparatory, Orchard Lake; Felician College, Chicago; St. Hyacinth College Seminary, Granby, Mass. (Bachelor of Arts); St. Anthony on the Hudson, Rensselaer, N.Y. (Master of Divinity); Sacred Heart Major Seminary, Detroit (Master of Arts); and Loyola University, Chicago (Master of Pastoral Studies).

He entered the Conventual Franciscan Friars in 1978, made his first profession of vows in 1980 and his solemn profession in 1983. He was ordained June 20, 1987, at St. Gertrude Church, Chicago.

Fr. Kusibab served as associate pastor of Our Lady Queen of Angels Parish, Detroit (1987-92), during which time he was also chaplain to Providence Hospital, Southfield, and guardian of All Saints Friary, Dearborn Heights (1991-92).

He served in various pastoral, teaching and administrative positions with his community and other Church institutions in Illinois, Pennsylvania and New Jersey before returning to Michigan to become chaplain to the Felician Provincialate in Livonia (2003-2005).

Since 2006, he has been at All Saints Friary in Dearborn Heights.

Fr. David Mastrangelo, SJ

Now 55, Fr. Mastrangelo was born in Cleveland, Ohio. He attended St. Clare Grade school, Lyndhurst, Ohio; St. Ignatius High School, Cleveland; the University of Detroit (Bachelor of Arts); the University of Illinois (Master of Arts), Chicago; and Weston Jesuit School of Theology, Cambridge, Mass. (Master of Divinity and Master of Sacred Theology).

He entered the Society of Jesus in1975, made his first vows Dec. 3, 1977; and final vows Feb. 3, 1999; He was ordained June 6, 1987 in Cleveland.

Fr. Mastrangelo has served as an auxiliary consultor to the Jesuits’ Detroit Province; teacher at University of Detroit Jesuit High School; teacher at St. John’s High School, Toledo, Ohio; and teacher, superior, principal and then president of Loyola High School, Detroit.

Fr. Walter Ptak

Now 50, Fr. Ptak was born in Wyandotte. He attended St. Mary’s College, Orchard Lake (Bachelor of Arts), and St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth Township (Master of Divinity).

He was ordained Nov. 14, 1987, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Detroit.

Fr. Ptak served as associate pastor of St. John the Baptist Parish, Monroe (1987-88); and St. Alfred Parish, Taylor (1988-90); before joining the faculty of SS. Cyril & Methodius Seminary, Orchard Lake (1991-92).

He was named associate pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Wyandotte, in 1992, becoming the parish’s administrator in 1993, and its pastor in 1994.

During his time at Our Lady of Mount Carmel, he has also served as administrator of St. Helena Parish, Wyandotte (2003-04 and 2007-08); and as pastor of St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish, Wyandotte, since 2009, also filling the roles of parish business manager and director of religious education since 2010.

In 1999 Fr. Ptak was honored as the Orchard Lake Schools’ Alumnus of the Year.

Fr. Stephen Vileo

Now 53, Fr. Vileo was born in Detroit. He attended Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit (Bachelor of Arts); Wayne State University, Detroit (Bachelor of Science); and the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome; as well as doing further post-graduate study at Accademia Alfonsiana in Rome.

He was ordained Nov. 14, 1987, at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Detroit.

Fr. Vileo has served as associate pastor of St. Mary Parish, Royal Oak (1987-88); and Our Lady of the Lakes Parish, Waterford Township (1988-89), during which time he served briefly as a chaplain to Crittenton Hospital, Rochester.

He was associate pastor of St. Alphonsus Parish, Dearborn (1993-94); and at St. Regis Parish, Birmingham (1994-95), during which time he was also chaplain to Brother Rice High School and Marian High School, both in Bloomfield Township.

After briefly serving as associate pastor of St. Frances Cabrini Parish, Allen Park, in 1995, he was associate pastor of St. Margaret of Scotland Parish, St. Clair Shores; administrator of Sacred Heart of the Hills Parish, Auburn Hills (1995-97); and briefly associate pastor of St. Patrick Parish, White Lake Township, during 1997.

Fr. Vileo was on the faculty of Sacred Heart Major Seminary (1997-2000); then was associate pastor of St. Mary, Queen of Creation Parish, New Baltimore; temporary administrator of St. Michael the Archangel Parish in Livonia for a brief portion of 2001; and temporary administrator of St. Irene Parish, Dundee, and Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Temperance, for brief portions of 2002.

He was named pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Temperance (2002-04); temporary administrator of St. Vincent Ferrer Parish, Madison Heights, during part of 2005; and was pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Erie (2005-06).

During 2006, Fr. Vileo served briefly as associate pastor of St. Rita Parish, Holly, and of St. Therese of Lisieux Parish, Shelby Township.

He was concurrently administrator of both St. James Parish, Ferndale; and St. Mary Parish, Royal Oak (2006-07); becoming pastor of both parishes (2007-08).

Since 2008 he has been pastor of St. Michael Parish, Monroe.